Author Topic: What Turbo  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: Landcruiser
What Turbo
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
I am about to purchase a hair dryer for the 100. Any suggestions on what Turbo kit? So far most info is pointing towards the DTS Kit with a custom 3 inch drain pipe.

Offline Oldmate

• Low Ranger
  • Vehicle Make: Other
What Turbo
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »
Sunbeam is good from what Lyndall days

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
Re: What Turbo
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
that's what i have in mine aswell as a front mount DTS intercooler. your wasting your time doing the turbo if you don't go a new bigger exhaust system aswell, i drove mine for a week with just the turbo and original exhaust system before being able to get the 3" exhaust fitted and thought i'd wasted my money on getting the turbo. didn't even get out the driveway of Beaudesert Exhausts and i knew the vehicle was completely different  8) 8)
turbo alone added a touch more power, 3" exhaust made a remarkable differance, and then the intercooler added a more noticable power increase again going on seat of the pants driving feel. can't give better details as it was never dyno'd when stuff was added.
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.
I preferred his signature i'd written there myself before he changed it...lol
Nice try Grasshopper!!!!!

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »
that's what i have in mine aswell as a front mount DTS intercooler. your wasting your time doing the turbo if you don't go a new bigger exhaust system aswell, i drove mine for a week with just the turbo and original exhaust system before being able to get the 3" exhaust fitted and thought i'd wasted my money on getting the turbo. didn't even get out the driveway of Beaudesert Exhausts and i knew the vehicle was completely different  8) 8)
turbo alone added a touch more power, 3" exhaust made a remarkable differance, and then the intercooler added a more noticable power increase again going on seat of the pants driving feel. can't give better details as it was never dyno'd when stuff was added.

Cheers - That is inline with what I had already been told.

I had a schwzter kit on my old GQ that was good but I never shopped around.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »
if you do look at putting an intercooler on and want to go a front mount DTS, come look at my vehicle first and i'll show what's wrong with that set up, i had to modify the pipes as they rubbed on the front tyre.
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
if you do look at putting an intercooler on and want to go a front mount DTS, come look at my vehicle first and i'll show what's wrong with that set up, i had to modify the pipes as they rubbed on the front tyre.

I was going to get a cross country intercooler (Top Mount). They seem to be the ducks nuts!!!!

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »

But would defiantly like to sticky beak under the hood of yours to look ath the turbo and the inter cooler to get an idea

Offline boxxy

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Mazda
  • Vehicle Model: BT50
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »

But would defiantly like to sticky beak under the hood of yours to look ath the turbo and the inter cooler to get an idea

Check out how spotties get wired up while you are there  :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
I am the king of my castle - when Mrs Boxxy is not at home

Offline Longman

• 4WD Class
  • I'm not stuck... just thinking
  • Vehicle Make: Mitsubishi
  • Vehicle Model: MN Triton GLX-R - Slightly modified...
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »

You might find one cheaper there! :)) :)) :))
I've reached that age where my brain went from

"You probably shouldn't say that"

....to....

"What the hell, let's just see what happens!"

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
OK I am getting closer to committing to buying a Turbo.... I am settled on a DTS kit and will retain the mandrel bent 2.5inch exhaust that I currently have

Does anyone know anything about injector pump anoid's?

Basically I was going to buy and fit the turbo kit and take it to Motson's to dyno it however they are suggesting I fit and anoid to the pump however I google it and find two fifths of stuff all about them - Does anyone with an aftermarket turbo have one? They want about $700 for them....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
I don't have one, but did mean to get one fitted. They are supposed to stop it over fueling when down low in the revs aren't they from what I recall?
Try searching aneroid instead, you'll find more info.

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
What Turbo
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
Thanks Mal - tried that spelling and found stuff all as well.

My understanding of them is that they are like a vacuum advance on a carby