Author Topic: Presidents drive and camping weekend  (Read 22 times)

Offline Pig dog

• Snr Vice Pres / Trip Co-Ordinator
  • Committee
  • 4WD Class
  • Have 4x4 and do like to explore
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: 2004 patrol
Presidents drive and camping weekend
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »

We meet up at the park in Boonah and found that the Boonah markets were on at the same time. We had Glenn, in his Paj, Brad, and Jessica in the Cruiser and Garry with me in my Patrol. We waited for an extra 15 minutes to see if anyone else were coming on the weekend but I think a few people decided not to come due to the so-called weather event that was to happen over the weekend. It was a bit windy at Boonah but we were going inland and the weather was going to be different.

We left Boonah and headed towards the Condamine river crossing at Killarney. When we got the crossings we found most of them dry with a couple with puddles of water in them. I have never seen the crossings dry before. After going through the crossings we headed towards the Queensland and NSW border and took some photos standing in the two states at the same time.

We drove towards Liston and stop at the park for a break and some refreshments. The Liston rural fire brigade was cleaning up their gear after the bush fires the week before. After a walk around the park and having some refreshments we hit the road towards Tenterfield.

On the way to Tenterfield, we drove through the area that was damaged by the bush fires the week before in some parts you could see how intense the fire was as everything was burnt. in over place the trees still had leaves left on them. We stop at the Thunderbolts hideout it too had been burn but you still got to see the hideout and the view he had of the landscape. We stop at Tenterfield for lunch in the park we knew we were in the great dividing range because if you got in the shade it was cooler.

After lunch, we headed out on the road towards Goondiwindi after traveling for 35 kilometers we turn onto South Mole River road and drove through the ranges and farmlands it was a dry and dusty trip as like most of the country they need rain. We came out directly across from Deepwater hotel. This is where we were staying for the night. The pub lets came out the back so long as you purchase something from the pub.

As it was after 4 pm it was time for adult drinks. We walked into the bar and were greeted by the owners Andrew and Lynn we quickly grab some drinks and sat down to take in all the atmosphere the pub had. After a short while, the hotel"s pony decide to walk into the bar and everyone took photos not to outdone the hotel's dog George also was getting around for pats and scratches on the belly I think Jessica was keen to take him home. 

After a few Adult drinkers and a cheese platter that the owners gave us, we decided to get our swags set up before it got dark smart move, not like last time I was there with Ian. Back to our host for some more adult drinks and dinner were Brad decided to give the burger challenge ago. The challenge is to homemade beef patties two chicken schnitzels, salard on a burger bun, chips, and milkshake. if you finish it in 30 Minutes you get your $26 back. Sadly Brad gave up after 13 Minutes but he gave in a good go.

After dinner, we played pool and had a few adult drinks and chatted to our host Lynn and Andrew. They are a wonderful couple that makes everyone feel welcome and wants to hear your stories. We strolled back to our swags and found the temperature had dropped to 12 degrees. A bit hard to take after days of 35 degrees plus and evenings of 24 degrees.

Next morning we slowly packed up our gear. Glenn decided to have one of the pub's breakfast meals and according to him, it was huge. Lol. We heading back to Brisbane the way we came but by going to Tenterfield from Deepwater. We got back to Yamanto just after 1 pm and May was waiting to pick up Garry. We said our goodbyes and everyone comment that they had a great weekend and would like to back to the Longhorn Bar at Deepwater.

Check out the photos on the Facebook page and Instagram about the weekend.

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
Re: Presidents drive and camping weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Great job Tom. It is a good spot.
"I see you"........... Avatar(2009)