Author Topic: Birdsville Itinerary Question  (Read 129 times)

Offline MattyB

• Tyre Kicker
  • Be nice, if not, be yourself- I can take it!
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: 2018 Single Cab LC79
Birdsville Itinerary Question
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
Hey there people,
I hope to be a regular with the club and will meet some of you at the next monthly. I'm currently building up my new truck atm and working a gut load of over time to pay for it all so not able to catch you all on the coming events.
I do have a pressing query though, if anyone wants to help me out...

Im planning my first adventure to Birdsville in October (been booked leave for a year) and am querying my itinerary, having not ever been out that way before i felt it safer to just stick to the usual route through Warwick, St George and everything else out to the digg tree then up to Birdsville. Then return via Betootah Charleville etc...

As time is fast approaching, my friend and I were looking at a detour out to Currawinya National Park then Cameron Corner then up to the Dig Tree.

So now im thinking, given you guys appear to have been there and done that, does anyone have an itinerary they would like to suggest?
Places to stop and sights to see, places that I would not know of having not been out that way yet...

Cheers in advance!
(Appologise if this is not where im meant to post) ???
Toyota Bull Bar with Side Rails | TJM FOX 2.0 Suspension with Heavy Duty Leaf | Factory Direct 4x4 31/2in Exhaust | Cruiser Consoles Roof Console | GME TX4500 UHF | GME AE4706B | DOMIN8R Winch & Lights | TJM Snorkel | Two Canopies

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
  • Vehicle Make: Other
Re: Birdsville Itinerary Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
Really depends on how much leave you have booked as to an itinery to suggest, aswell as knowing how far you want to drive each day also. We did a trip to Birdsville a few years back (been there 4 times now), basically drove out along bitumin to Thargomindah, free camped outside Eulo the second night, then head to Dig Tree via Noccundra Hotel,  you can look around Innamincka and Coongie Lake, Walkers Crossing Track to Birdsville,  we spent several days at Birdsville looking around (dingo caves out near Waddi Trees towards Bedourie, Bourke and Wills Tree near race track, visited the race track, watch sunset over Simpson a top Big Red, did a free tour with local aboriginal elder at 2 Boys Dreaming site),  then drive to Haddon Corner via Cordillo Downs and we headed to Windorah from there and you free camp on Cooper Creek. If you want to do Cameron Corner, then head there from Noccundra, loop back up The Strez to Innamincka and leave The Dig Tree until then or after Cordillo Downs on way to Hadden Corner...will have to do a small amount of back tracking though. You could also look at driving the Birdsville inside track if you wanted to, but it's all a time frame thing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:48:16 PM by Rumpig »
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.
I preferred his signature i'd written there myself before he changed it...lol
Nice try Grasshopper!!!!!

Offline Goanna

• Motley Member
  • 2WD Class
  • I'm Goanna do it
    • Goanna's photos
  • Vehicle Make: Ford
  • Vehicle Model: PJ Ranga
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
Hi Matty, and welcome aboard from the Motleys!!!  We look forward to meeting you.  Here's a few thoughts about your Birdsville adventure:

Just DO IT!    The Red Dirt of the Outback seems to be a bit addictive, but I don't think you'll regret going.

Timing wise, the climate out in Corner Country gets really scorching in Summer (a.k.a the Wet Season).  That's why most travellers prefer to visit during the Dry Season (let's say May thru August).  So be prepared for hot conditions if you're going in October.  It's not just the heat either; you'll also face a slightly higher risk of rainstorms.  Surprisingly, you only need 1-2mm of rainfall to really upset your itinerary, due to road closures possibly lasting days or even weeks.  Speaking of Desert Climate, the Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and Simpson Desert Conservation Park is closed annually between 1 December and 15 March, for public safety.  I realize the Simpson isn't quite on your planned itinerary exactly, but I'm sure you get the drift :D

Otherwise, your planned itinerary looks pretty awesome to me.  Most of the roads you're talking about are pretty good (well, relative to the olden days I mean).  Therefore, you mainly need a reliable, well-prepared vehicle, along with a good dose of common-sense.  Ideally, it's a bit safer and more fun travelling in convoy with others, but that's by no means not essential.

Regarding Currawinya, I highly recommend that place if you can afford the time (and fuel).

Here's some resources, just in case you haven't seen them already:

Mal, Ian, Tom, Andrew & Motleys all reckon Corner Country is a wonderful place.
We're enthusiastic to travel there again, and hopefully sharing with other Club members who are keen to go.
So, we're looking forward seeing you at the next meeting!
Andrew
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:30:37 AM by Goanna »
Goanna do this...
Goanna do that!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »
This old report may interest you.... the trip didn't go to plan due to mechanical issues and my grandmother becoming seriously ill and later dieing, but it shows some of the stuff I mentioned above http://forum.themotleycrew.com.au/index.php?topic=1466.msg17214#msg17214
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.

Offline MattyB

• Tyre Kicker
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »
Thanks a bunch boys, some good suggestions there. Ill definitely make time to stop off at those places I didn't know of, that's what I asked for so thanks heaps.

Rumpig, I have 4we off and allowed three to get out and back.

Ill stop off regularly for fuel but im not sure what my fuel burn will be as its a new truck and im mid build on the second canopy so not sure of my weights. Goanna, you may have put me off Currawinya for this reason, not knowing my vehicles fuel burn leaves me to think i should add this destination on the second go round. I have a standard 130ltr tank plus three 20ltr jerry cans, see how i go i guess...

Thanks again
Toyota Bull Bar with Side Rails | TJM FOX 2.0 Suspension with Heavy Duty Leaf | Factory Direct 4x4 31/2in Exhaust | Cruiser Consoles Roof Console | GME TX4500 UHF | GME AE4706B | DOMIN8R Winch & Lights | TJM Snorkel | Two Canopies

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »
You should have no worries with fuel, there‚Äôs plenty of places to purchase it these days, you just may need to top up more regularly just incase.  I had no idea what the fuel burn was on my new Cruiser before doing our recent Ayres Rock trip, just calculated it the first 2 days as we headed West and had 2 empty jerry cans  along for the ride to fill and empty if I thought I would need it. Quite a few properties you can camp on sell fuel also (need to check which though obviously) expect to pay $2.25 a litre atleast, but paying the extra fuel cost is better then pushing your foubie ...lol.

Offline MattyB

• Tyre Kicker
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
Another query, After reading Rumpig's log, I punched the destinations into Google maps and found that from Wanaaring heading to Tibooburra, Google suggests this to take 9.54hrs...
Is this legit?
Or is Google not as smart as Siri?

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
Google seems to calculate that you are going slower on dirt roads. You are generally able to do 90km/hr safely on the dirt roads out there maybe 80km/hr if corrugated and 100km/hr on good stretches. So usually you can halve the Google times. The trip reports we have done will give you a good idea of travel times. I usually aim for 400 - 500km / day leaving at 9am and arriving at 4pm, take time to smell the flowers.
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Offline MattyB

• Tyre Kicker
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »
Thanks mate, appreciate it  ;D