Author Topic: May Long W/E Stanthorpe  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
May Long W/E Stanthorpe
« on: May 21, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
Stanthorpe May Day Weekend 2017

My trip report starts Saturday morning. I left home at 5.30am and headed out. This was the maiden voyage with the new Jackaroo. It is still unfinished but was back on the road and able to do the trip. I had it off the road since January. My last Motley trip being the Xmas party.

It was a good run to Stanthorpe and I made the showgrounds by 8.30am. I met up with the rest of the happy campers for breakfast. We were camped at the back of the grounds which was ideal for us. After breakfast Tom and I chewed the fat over his Cameron Corner trip. I want to hijack the trip with my itinerary to include Birdsville so watch this space.

We planned at run to Girraween National Park this afternoon following an easy track from the main camping area looping out to Mt Norman day area.  I was trip leader for this so we were bound to get embarrassed at some point. Bad Nanna had some trouble with her brakes so she jumped in with Wombat and Jay. So we had Pig dog, Jay’s BT50, Wazza, Jimmy and Boxxy.  I was wanting to enter the park from the highway but we headed out Eukey Road and entered at the back of the park. oops.

Stopping at the Bald Rock day use area we could get a good look at the Pyramid, the prominent feature of Girraweeen. We took quick walk to the swimming hole to show the kids a turtle as big as a dinner plate. Who’s for a swim? From here we back tracked to the 4wd track. It was an easy but fun drive through the track. See the pictures, we found a shallow water crossing for some poser shots.

It was an easy drive back to town and an early night to get to the RSL for the footie.

Sunday it was an easy sleep in, cool morning with nothing stirring. After breakfast everyone decided on their day’s choice of trip, shopping in town or a day trip to Sundown National Park. I had been here twice before. First time it was closed and did not make it passed the front gate. Second time was on a 2012 Corroboree trip but unfortunately the trip was turned around at Rat’s Castle because a Prado could not get up a steep climb. I was determined to get there today. So we left camp at 10am, Pigdog had Wombat riding shotgun, Wazza in his 200 series and me with Bad Nanna riding shotgun in the Jackaroo. The trip out to Sundown takes about 45min. Once we were at the gate we air down and headed into the park via the old track which is now unmaintained.

There are few challenging spots with wash outs but usually a chicken track around. We arrived at the Red Gorge lookout for a smoko break

and after a few photos continued on the main track to Burrow’s Waterhole Campsite. The track is well maintained from here with numerous table drains. Driving passed the old Sundown arsenic mine is quite eerie with no vegetation for 100 metres around the site. Large warning signs make it clear it is a toxic waste land. The mines were closed in 1920’s and the scars are still plain to see.

We arrived at Burrow’s Waterhole near 1.30pm so decided to have lunch. There were numerous family groups camped here. The waterhole was quite full with water and the camp grounds very green. As we were having lunch low and behold Eastie drove in with a few Jeepers. They had been camped up over the long weekend and doing some of the hidden tracks in the park. Eastie admitted he had forgotten his tent so was sleep beside the car until he got too cold then inside the car overnight. Sorry mate that’s a fine right there. They had been out on the Rat’s Castle track but said the river crossing was deep so had turned around. They had found plenty of other tracks.

Rat’s Castle Track is a loop track from Burrow’s Waterhole. It crosses the Severn River 3 times and loops over a rocky outcrop called Rat’s Castle. Once we dropped down the wombat hole track we followed the river until the first crossing which was divided by a deeper narrow section followed by a shallow wider section. The river bottom is smooth solid rocks so an easy crossing. Some walkers had just done the loop and the guy my height was wet up to his waist. He said the second crossing was that deep and wide but solid bottom. Good saved me walking it. After some thought I jumped in and drove the second crossing headlight deep. We all drove the crossing.

The third crossing was a rock hop water crossing. Wazza drove it with some slipping and crushing but Tom and I were reluctant with manual transmissions.

Beaten here, we headed to the other side of the loop. Here was the steep rutted climb I wanted to do. Tom jumped in and away we went. The Jackaroo screaming as it had been doing the whole trip (I thought it was the fan belt but later to find the alternator seizing) climbed the incline with ease. No one else was going to give it a go so we decided to head home now being 3pm. Back tracking from here it was a slow steady drive out of the park. The drive takes an hour. We drove out the front gate and onto the dirt road entry to the bitumen where we aired up to drive back to camp. Another good day wheeling. The fire was burning and beer was cold so it was time to catch up with the rest of the crew and tell some big stories of the day. Oh did I mention we finished the night drinking Boxxy’s Grumpy Old Bastard port while playing Cards against Humanity, cannot remember who won but Bronnie and I gave a sterling performance.

PS so on the way home I noticed the alternator not charging so having made it home I was on the internet to get a new one which I have now fitted. No more belt noise.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:54:48 PM by Hangman »
"A martini. Shaken, not stirred"........... Goldfinger(1964)

Offline Pig dog

• Snr Vice Pres / Trip Co-Ordinator
  • Committee
  • 4WD Class
  • Have 4x4 and do like to explore
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: 2004 patrol
Re: May Long W/E Stanthorpe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »

So the Jack is a bit quieter now.

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »

So the Jack is a bit quieter now.

Starts better than a Patrol as well
"A martini. Shaken, not stirred"........... Goldfinger(1964)

Offline boxxy

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Mazda
  • Vehicle Model: BT50
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »

Starts better than a Patrol as well

Ouch !!!!   :)) :))
I am the king of my castle - when Mrs Boxxy is not at home

Offline Badnana

• Motley Member
  • 2WD Class
  • Be nice. I'm new to The Motley Crew
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: Pathfinder
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
My brakes fixed a new master cylinder and my mechanic found that the timing belt needed replacing as well so ouch...... but all fixed
Smile - be happy....  :)