Author Topic: Dayboro or Bust Trip Report  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
Dayboro or Bust Trip Report
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »
Dayboro or Bust
Weekend camping Trip at Dayboro Showgrounds 24/25/26 February 2017
Saturday Day Trip 25 February 2017
Trip Leaders Hangman & Pig Dog
Attendees: Bad Nanna & Dennis, Mick & Jess (Mick), Wombat & Jay, Boxxy & Bron, Jimmy T & Wendy, Shauna & (Bluey), Andrew, Barpen

Friday 24 Feb 2017

Once I had finished work, I was home, had the Civic packed and headed west. Dayboro is a good close trip. I drove into town and grabbed at Pizza at Johnno’s then onto the pub to grab some Lazy Bears. The showgrounds are tucked in behind town and incorporate the footy grounds. I found the rest of the crew who had arrived during the afternoon. The area around the show ring was quite uneven but I found a patch away from here. We settled in for a quiet telling stories and covering a range of topics. I enjoyed the pizza from Johnno’s. Jimmy + Wendy had fish and chips from town and said it was very good. The whole idea of this trip was to check out the various facilities here so we can prepare for the Xmas party here later this year.

Saturday 25 Feb 2017

The showgrounds being in town are surprising quiet. The day started at 7am with breakfast. We had planned a day trip through Mt Mee Forest now called D’Aguilar National Park. Several members started arriving to leave the showgrounds at 9am which we were able to do. I still have not got the jack back on the road so a big thanks to Pigdog(Tom) for being the co leader on this trip. He drove the mighty Patrol, I rode shotgun. After a bakery stop for lunch supplies we headed along McKenzie St to Lacey’s Creek Road to start our trip.
I was following the Dirty Weekends trip of the park which we have done many years ago. Once we had aired down at the park entrance we head along Range Rd to stop at Kluver’s Lookout. From here you can see Redcliffe, Moreton Isle and Bribie Isle. It was then onto Diana’s Bath carpark. I have not walked out to Diana’s Bath for many years and last time I was here it was very overgrown. Being very dry at the moment the vegetation is very thin but still overgrown. The track up to here was dry + dusty but well maintained. We then headed up A break the steepest of tracks in the park. Unfortunately, Jimmy was not able to get Lizzy into 4wd and could not get up the first step up.

Tom hooked up and we towed the Suzuki to the top in a cloud of dust. Wendy calm as any wife reading her book in the midst of all the action. Once every one was at the top we headed onto the Gantry for a lunch and rest stop. The Gantry itself now roped off due to safety concerns and I fear will be demolished at some stage. After lunch several members headed back to camp while the dry and dusty headed to Rocky Hole for a swim. It was a pleasant swim as always here. The boys jumping several times into the deep pool. This is the first time I have seen rocky hole not flowing.

After a refreshing swim we had to return to Loveday’s Rd to head home. The road out to Settlement Rd was closed. We aired up at the Gantry and headed back to Dayboro on the bitumen. We were back at camp by 4pm. The day trippers left here and we got ready for dinner at the pub. I had booked dinner for 6pm which a great time to get there we had the veranda to ourselves until 7pm then several other groups arrived. The meals were good and hearty. I had the surf and turf T bone which was well cooked. Dennis enjoyed his fisherman’s basket. The bar only takes cash. After dinner we headed back to camp for another quiet night to share some stories and watch the fireworks in the distance.

Sunday 26 Feb 2017

It was a slow start today. I guess it always is on pack up day. After breakfast we had a look at the facilities there. The Show Hall is big and it has a great kitchen. The camp area is not as spacious and the toilet/shower facilities not as big as Canaungra but I’m sure it will work for us. After pack up I headed home to do the unpack at home and get back to work on the Jackaroo Project, I miss taking the old girl out.
Once again I have not got any pictures to post, my phone was flat so I hope someone can post up some pics from the weekend especially the drive. Big thanks to Tom once again and to Wombat and Jay for the use of their kitchen. Thanks to Boxxy and Jimmy for the beer fridge, sorry I broke an egg. That’s a story for next time

Cheers         
Ian Lynch
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:43:59 PM by Hangman »
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Offline Goanna

• Motley Member
  • 2WD Class
  • I'm Goanna do it
    • Goanna's photos
  • Vehicle Make: Ford
  • Vehicle Model: PJ Ranga
Re: Dayboro or Bust Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
Thanks Ian, for an excellent trip and trip-report.
Goanna do this...
Goanna do that!

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
Thanks Ian, for an excellent trip and trip-report.

Thanks Andrew, please post some pics it will add to the report.
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Offline Goanna

• Motley Member
  • 2WD Class
  • I'm Goanna do it
    • Goanna's photos
  • Vehicle Make: Ford
  • Vehicle Model: PJ Ranga
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
Dayboro or Bust

Goanna do this...
Goanna do that!

Offline jnr chook

• Jnr Vice President
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: hilux dual cab
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
wow Andrew  great work  8)
see you out on the dirt soon

Offline Badnana

• Motley Member
  • Tyre Kicker
  • Be nice. I'm new to The Motley Crew
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: Pathfinder
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:12 PM »
A great report by Ian, and the photo's  plus video by Andrew showed the highlight of our day trip, and those who needed help, as no one was left behind. A great day had by all... Thank you
Smile - be happy....  :)