Author Topic: Fraser Island Clean-up 2014  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
Fraser Island Clean-up 2014
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
This is a continuation from My Fraser Island Trip.

Trip Leader: JeffW

Attendees: DJ, Truckie/Glow worm, Poncho, Leon, iananita, Rabbit, Donkey/Dixie

Friday 23 May                         

The day started as many have on the island with the noise of birds. We had a slow pack up today after breakfast, expecting to see the other members of the Motley Crew arrive today at the Cape. There was no sign of any body on the beach. It was an easy run back to South Ngkala Rock by pass where we encounter 3 other vehicles travelling north, still no Motleys. By now it was 10am so we decided to head to Champagne Pools for a swim; it was low tide and a beautiful sunny day. As we arrived at the car park I could see the Motleys in convoy along the beach, DJ leading, Truckies, Stu and Poncho. A quick hello and they continued north to the cape while Kent + I, and one hundred backpackers enjoyed the calm clear waters of the pools. We must have wasted 2 hours here, swimming in the pools and in the ocean beside the pools. The water was so clear and warm.

By noon we headed back to the Waddy Point beach camping area to find the Wregg boys and Darren and Lynda setting up camp. We did like-wise and set up. After lunch we sat around telling stories, chopped fire wood for the night, the day was gone. The other returned from the cape by 3pm and soon set about setting up. Stu setting up one to the biggest tarps I’d ever seen for just swag, well 2 swags Poncho bunk in as well. DJ had brought some food of me to replenish my fresh supplies. It was T bone steak for us tonight. A few beers later we were sitting around a fire provided by Poncho and planning our Saturday activities. Wreggs and Plants were going to the cape while the fabulous four were interested in the Postan’s Logging Camp ruins and the Valley of the Giants drive which I had bragged about.

Saturday 24 May

It was another beautiful day on Fraser Island. After breakfast I helped Kent pack up as he was heading home today. I relocated my camp to lower Waddy Point to camp with the crew. Kent + I headed off to Eli Creek for a swim, the other would pick me up there and we would head to the ruins via the inland tracks.

By 10am the fabulous four Motleys arrived I rode shotgun with Poncho. Eli Creek at the present was quite shallow and cool but refreshing as ever and popular with the back packers. Once the Motley arrived Kent said goodbye and headed south, it would be an easy run to Hook Point low tide was 11am. We headed north again to Woralie Rd which turns inland at K’Gari campground. This is a scenic drive which I had not done but would lead us onto Northern Rd then down to the logging camp ruins. Along this road is the Knife blade Sand blow which is the largest on the island some 3.5km. It is an impressive mass of sand and it continues to grow every year. Continuing on from here the track winds thru woodlands and open swamp areas near Boomerang Lakes.

We tried Eric’s shortcut to Moon Point Rd but it was too overgrown. Once on Moon Point Rd we were able to turn onto Northern Rd which took us to Bellerts Old Hut ruins which was used by Hans Bellerts, a linesman who maintained the telegraph line to Sandy Cape in the 1930’s.

There were 3 large mango trees planted here. We continued out to the western coast and along the beach to near Bogimbah Creek mouth. There is a large tidal flat here were some boats had beached themselves. It was 2pm so we stopped for lunch. The tide was turning and no sooner had Stu and I walked out some 100m on the flat but the water was running in behind us. DJ had a story from years ago when he had fished this area and while camped overnight at Black Fellow Point, just north of where we stood, a dingo had got into the boat overnight and eaten their butter.

After lunch we continued south to the logging ruins arriving there at 4pm. Once again the eerie silence of the ruins tells so many stories. Stu got some great pics. By now it was late afternoon so we headed for the Valley of the Giants, a place DJ had wanted to see. Having been there before I wanted to investigate a walking track I had seen previously but not walked to the end of the track. Once we found the track I was rewarded with the largest Tallowwood tree on the island, it measures 11m girth, a giant from the past.

There is also a large stump still here somewhere that is known by locals and Pat Callinan has featured it on his Fraser Island DVD. We did not find it, next time for sure. By now it was dark, we stop at the hiker’s camp and Truckie gets bitten on the foot by a meat ant. When we take a look at the ground there are ants every where, so be warned here. Ask Truckie these ants bite like a dog. So off we head back to the beach via Postan’s Rd and Poyungan Valley. We reached the beach at 6.30pm which by now was high tide so it was a slow soft sand drive north. We stopped at the top of Waddy Point for some pics and arrived back at camp by 8pm. The others had a good fire going, some beer and thanks to Stu some dinner. What a day of adventure and memories.   

Sunday 25 May

Today was clean-up day. This is what we had come to do, so by 8am we decided to split into 2 groups. Wreggs, Plants + I would start at Waddy Point and move north while DJ, Truckies, Stu + Poncho would start at Ocean Lake Camp area and move south. After scouring the beach and dunes we met near the southern ramp from Orchid beach. We had collected some 44 bags of rubbish mostly alcohol cans + bottles but some fishing gear, oil bottles, sewage pipe, thongs and mud flaps(Landrover).

Leon + I took our rubbish to the dump point at the back of Orchid Beach. We stopped along the way to pick up rubbish from the tracks and must have got another bag, mostly cans. It was now close to 12 noon, so lunch, break camp and we were going for a swim at Lake Mackenzie. DJ, Truckies and I headed off by 2pm. Plants, Stu and Poncho were to follow while Wreggs stayed at Waddy Point another night. It was an easy drive down the beach to Eurong where we stopped for an ice cream. This evening’s BBQ was to be held here at the Surf bar and preparations were being made. After the ice cream we headed to Lake Mackenzie for a swim which was cool but ever so refreshing after a warm day on the beach.

Back at Eurong DJ had phone reception and the others had found a camping spot at One Tree Rocks Camping zone just north of Eurong. The plan was to camp here overnight so the run home tomorrow was easy.

The others had found a great spot; we set up on the sand dunes and watched the world go while Jayden fed the fish. By 6pm we headed back to Eurong for the BBQ. There were 17 clubs represented with a total of 170 vehicles. The total clean up was over 1100 bags of rubbish. After a filling dinner door prizes and raffled prizes were done. The DJ and Stu netted a prize each. The evening finished about 8pm so we headed back to camp, bar prices where high but reasonable for an island resort. We sat around DJ’s bar and told some more stories it was a beautiful night, our last on the island.

Monday 26 May

By 9am we had all packed. Truckies were off first needing to get home. Stu wanted some pictures of Lake Mackenzie so headed off shortly after. Plants, Poncho, DJ and I headed to Eurong Bakery for some smoko. Poncho was going to drive inland to Dilli village and meet up with Stu while the rest of us headed down the beach for home. It was an easy run to Hook Point. There were 2 barges running so we were soon back at Inskip Point and headed for the under car wash at Rainbow Beach. The wash costs $12 and does a good job but you need to be quick with the pressure cleaner after the wash. I stopped to refuel at the Rainbow Beach Shell and enjoy some lunch from the bakery. Soon Plants, DJ and I were heading home. It was an easy run home. I arrived back at Redcliffe at 2pm. Now that the sand has settled, it was a great trip. I never looked at my kilometres but my fuel cost for the trip was about $400 from door to door. Stu has taken some great pictures and for me have captured some of the magic Fraser Island has to offer. I know that next time I’m going back to find that large tree stump in the Valley of the Giants, who is with me?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:41:25 PM by iananita »
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Dixie

Re: Fraser Island Clean-up 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:54:13 AM »
Great job Ian   ;D

Only one problem.......I WANT TO GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'(   :'(   :'(   :'(

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
Pictures have been added
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
  • Vehicle Make: Other
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:11:53 PM »
Great job Ian   ;D

yep great report Ian, but the main problem i actually see...is there is no mention of Poncho running into a tree stump and bending his bullbar....WHAT'S THE GO THERE?  :)) :))
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.
I preferred his signature i'd written there myself before he changed it...lol
Nice try Grasshopper!!!!!

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: Landcruiser
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
Great job Ian   ;D

yep great report Ian, but the main problem i actually see...is there is no mention of Poncho running into a tree stump and bending his bullbar....WHAT'S THE GO THERE?  :)) :))

I heard Truckie still has a headache from that incident!!!! lol

Dixie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »
That's because only donkey & myself actually saw it happen. The look on poncho's face when he turned his head & realised that we saw it was PRICELESS   ???   ???

I did try to take a photo of the broken bit but you can't actually see anything so i didn't post it   :'(