Author Topic: Oil change in rear diff  (Read 7582 times)

willow

Oil change in rear diff
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
Hi there guys,
I have decided to be adventurous and change the diff oil in the cruiser. I think i have read somewhere that I need to replace the seal around the drain plug or was it around the inspection/fill hole. Excuse my mechanical terminology.

Is this correct and if it is correct do you buy them as a generic seal at REPCO or somewhere when i purchase the diff oil.

Also what is the best oil to use for diffs.   

Cloutys

Re: Oil change in rear diff
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
I usually replace both of them, they are only a few buck each.. And you can get them at repco or auto barn..
The oil I usually use is penrite..

willow

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
I usually replace both of them, they are only a few buck each.. And you can get them at repco or auto barn..
The oil I usually use is penrite..
Are they a standard size..and is the oil actually diff oil or is it just oil used in diffs
lol  ::)

Cloutys

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
I'd say they would be a standard size. Just ask at repco or auto barn what vehicle you have and they'll match up the part to your vehicle..
There's all different type of diff oils..
Ones that have locker's and or LSD's have there own grading of oil.. Like I've got lockers front and rear on my 80 and I need a grading of 80/90..
So if you've got a LSD in the 200 you might need around the same grading.. But just ask at one of the stores and they'll help you out..
Hope that help mate..

Cloutys

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Oh.. Almost forgot, before you drain the oil out of the diff just make sure you can undo your filler plug first..

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: Landcruiser
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
The REPCO part number is RSP1010. They are a 18mm - 1.5 Standard diff bung. The REPCO ones will give you are far more substantial hex head to get a ratchet on than the factory Toyota

I found a multi hex socket as opposed to an impact socket was more efficient for removal

willow

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
The REPCO part number is RSP1010. They are a 18mm - 1.5 Standard diff bung. The REPCO ones will give you are far more substantial hex head to get a ratchet on than the factory Toyota

I found a multi hex socket as opposed to an impact socket was more efficient for removal
Yes did notice when under the cruiser there wasnt much protuding in the way of hex nut.
I will enquire about the parts next time at repco.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

willow

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
I'd say they would be a standard size. Just ask at repco or auto barn what vehicle you have and they'll match up the part to your vehicle..
There's all different type of diff oils..
Ones that have locker's and or LSD's have there own grading of oil.. Like I've got lockers front and rear on my 80 and I need a grading of 80/90..
So if you've got a LSD in the 200 you might need around the same grading.. But just ask at one of the stores and they'll help you out..
Hope that help mate..
Thanks for that.

Cloutys

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
How did you go willow??

willow

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »
Haven t done it as yet. I am getting to it. Once i get to it. Off to repco for the stuff.
I think i my be on a mechanical journey. May even tackle the wheel bearings on the CT next. That will be interesting.