Author Topic: Which UHF  (Read 3744 times)

Sox

Which UHF
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:42:02 AM »
Hi, I'm after some advice on which would be the best UHF radio for "Black Betty".
I often find myself either in mid convoy or at the back, with my current hand held Oricom and its crap, leaving me uninformed about whats happening further up the track.There is no volume control on it, and I now cant even change channel, rendering the bloody thing useless. :P

The idea is to have a radio in the car and a handheld, for those moments when someone needs to guide me through a situation.
The radio in the car needs to be physically small, as the Hi-lux doesn't have much in the way of space in the cabin for one of those bigger rigs, and I don't have a roof console yet,(No Jarrad, this is not an opportunity to sell me a console) but I would like to get a UHF with enough grunt.

The other questions is which Antenna should I get?
I understand that this can make all the difference with reception for incoming and outgoing signals.

Thanks in advance
Rabbit

Offline boxxy

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Mazda
  • Vehicle Model: BT50
Re: Which UHF
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
Hey mate
I recently had to install another radio in my Patrol(after it smoked us out of the cabin on our recent trip) and went the 80 channel GME. They do a full size DIN one and they do a smaller size (sorry, don't know what they call that) for tight spaces. I believe you can get some form of remote mic for these, Kris mentioned it in passing the other day but I havent followed up on that yet. So far very happy with it, my old one couldn't pick up the weak signal form DJ even when close by in convoy but the new one did.

Prices were $449 - $489 when I did a quick search but being in Birdsville at the time I ended up paying the $489 which seemed quite reasonable actually considering everything else is so pricy out that way with transport costs etc etc

My 2c
I am the king of my castle - when Mrs Boxxy is not at home

Offline deFuzster

• Web Admin
  • Hard Core
  • SOOTY !
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: 80 Series
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
I second that.

I'm GME all the way hands down.

I use a GME 3340 super compact remote mic unit with a GME AE4705 aerial.

It's only a 40 channel unit which was replaced by the 3345 which is an 80 channel. I'll be upgrading in the next year or so to the 80 channel.

It's been great! Often I have had to relay messages to others in convoy because others have lost reception. Even whne I have been lead or tail end. It has performed very well in both hilly and also dusty conditions. The 2 main killers of radio communications.

Other options, I would also recommend the iCom units. Although I have never owned one, I have used them before in previous industries and with mates. Bloody tough units.

Anyhow, That's my opinion.
[ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]
Only a 4WDer knows a good snatch

Sox

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Thanks Fellas,

From what I have read on other forums it can get a little confusing, but the general consensus is GME, Uniden, Tait, iCom, with GME coming in 1st  and Uniden 2nd.

I notice GME has a nice little unit, TX3100 which has the ability to connect an external speaker. So am leaning towards this unit.

Not too sure why would I need a remote mic?

Offline joyboy

• Motley Member
  • 2WD Class
  • Life to short not to see this country
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: patrol gq
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
I will be getting a new uhf next year i am looking at the icom 400pro next door has one the range he is getting greenbank to gatton with a 6 db antenna and you can change all the settings if you need to

Mad4maz

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
TX3100 budget model - crap speaker -- all GME you can hook a external speaker to it
Go a TX3520 or a TX3540 wabbit

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
  • Vehicle Model: Landcruiser
Which UHF
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
Honestly you can not go wrong with GME both for the radio and aerial.

I have the full din TX4400 40 Channel. This had been replaced with the TX4500 which is what is in Boxxys. In terms of aerial if you want a good all rounder I would suggest the AE4018K1

Offline Ranga

• 2WD Class
  • Be nice. I'm new to The Motley Crew
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: D22
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
Icom all the way for me, I have the IC-440n, remote mount. Paired with an RFI CD900 6.5 db aerial and couldn't be happier the range is phenominal.

Offline Kris

• Hard Core
  • Vehicle Model: Landcruiser
Which UHF
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
Icom is often an under rated brand. They are very well respected in the commercial sector but often forgotten in the recreational sector.

Sox

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have settled on the GME hand held unit, + an in-car GME and aerial to go with it.

Used the hand held at the weekend at Mt.Barney (Bartopia) , she worked a treat.

;D ;D ;D ;D