Author Topic: Toonumbar Dam - June 2013  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: Landcruiser
Toonumbar Dam - June 2013
« on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
Toonumbar Dam – June Long Weekend

Attendee’s

Paddington (AKA Woody Wood Duck) and Bic-eee
Tat2edKing (AKA Chucky AKA Sir Chucknald Pumkin of the Club Motley)
B2
JeffW
Boxxy and Mrs Boxxy (AKA Katut and Bronda)
Jimmy T (AKA Sheriff Long Shlong and his Gal)
Ady88
Cliz
Eastie

Friday

Boxxy (Less Bronda), Chucky, Bic-eee and I met up at Windaroo on Friday arvo. After a short delay waiting for Chucky’s children to be dropped off we began our drive south just before 4pm. Bic-eee and I lead and Chucky in the middle and Boxxy bringing up the rear. We figured that Boxxy shouldn’t get lost following Chucky’s caravan…….. 30 minutes later in Beaudesert Boxxy comes on the radio “Where have you gone? I’m Lost”. This was quiet amusing for Chucky and I as we had not turned off the main road, however Boxxy had. He had followed a car (without a caravan) down a side road. Once we got Boxxy back on track it was an enjoyable and event free run into Kyogle.

Upon arriving in Kyogle just after 6pm we decided a feed at the pub was in order. After an enjoyable meal and a quick beverage we continued onto Toonumbar Dam arriving just before 8:30pm. As we drove up to the care takers house we were greeted by Annabelle one of the care takers who directed us onto the campsite. The drive from the caretakers house down around the bottom the dam and up to the cricket oval was an adventure in itself. There was lots of wildlife including an echidna on the causeway. Upon arriving at the oval we were met by Leon (B2) and Shari. As we set up we admired the clear skies and abundance of stars.

Saturday

We awoke to grey skies and light drizzle, which increased as the day went on. It was our first chance to look around and take in the beauty of the area.

B2 and ourselves headed into Kyogle to gather some extra supplies (and wet weather gear for the kids), on the drive in we passed the rest of the club members heading out. By lunchtime the weather had set in as solid rain. Fortunately we got a couple of hours break mid afternoon. This was enough time to go for a drive up to Bells Bay and to go for a walk along the dam wall.

Toyota’s were out in force

There was a flasher at Bells Bay

Bell’s Bay had limited camping with few level options but offered a great spot for summer swimming

Plenty of spots for the kids to play

From Bells Bay we drove back towards camp and had a look at the dam wall (a short walk from camp itself)

Dam at capacity

View of camp from the dam wall

The rest of Saturday afternoon was spent around the fire, with the kids playing until the rain set in later in the evening.

Sunday

We awoke on Sunday morning to some sunshine and clearer skies. We took advantage of this weather and went for a drive through Richmond Range National Park which was literally at the back door of where we were staying. The tracks were wet and sloshy and required an increased level of attention.

The area we were travelling through had previously been logged and was mostly well advanced new growth. “Old Spotty” is the tree that is credited with supplying the seeds for this regrowth. What a mammoth of a tree!!!!!!!! JeffW was eying it off for some bar stools… the questions was how do we get it home?

We drove through the national park to the Plateau day use area and stopped for a quick regroup. The views to the east were brilliant.   

Eastie proud of the muddy jeep!!!!!

Chucky and I exchanging photos while Ady was steeling bits for his Patrol

Alisa left a clear instruction on the side of the Patrol for Ady

We didn’t want to risk losing Boxxy again

Shortly after leaving the day use area and the national park we popped out into beautiful rolling farm land.

By this stage we were all getting a little bit peckish. We came across a great little place called Mallanganee and stopped into the pub for a feed. Great food, great service and great prices (plus they had a pool table, fire and a kids playground)

I think we doubled this towns population for the hour that we were there

From Mallanganee we headed back towards Bonalbo and then back into the national park via Peacock Creek road. We stopped into the Peacock creek camp ground for a look. It looked like a great spot to camp at only $5/night, however while there we picked up a few campers of our own – leaches!!!!!

Once back at camp we made the most of the weather. The kids plays while the adults set up the fire and kicked back.

Monday

We awoke to what looked like promising weather for pack up, unfortunately it quickly turned to rain. As we packed away wet camping gear and equally wet children Jeff and Leon’s son’s were showing that it wasn’t only Jeff and Leon that liked to play in the mud!!!!!

The care takers, Annabelle and Paul came down to collect fees and take our rubbish bags for us, then it was time to head off. In convoy we left the dam and headed home in increasing rain up over Lyons road

Quick stop at the Border loop

While the weather was not on our side it was a great weekend with great company. Cannot wait to go back and explore the 4wd tracks and more of the national park.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:45:25 AM by Paddington »

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
Re: Toonumbar Dam - June 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
Gee it didn't take long...

I can't take credit for this - it was one of Boxxy's facebook friends!!!!!!

Offline Chucky13

• Low Ranger
  • QUEENSLANDER QUEENSLANDER QUEENSLANDER
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: 08 Navara STX
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
Well done Woody great trip report even with the wet weather it was still a great trip
WANNA PLAY?

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
Well done Woody great trip report even with the wet weather it was still a great trip

Your right Chucky it was a great trip... Just a shame about that generator spoiling the serenity.......  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Cloutys

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:16:30 PM »
Nice pics and trip report.. It's a top spot down there.. 8)
To bad about the weather though..

Offline boxxy

• President
  • Administrator
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Mazda
  • Vehicle Model: BT50
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »

It was my bloody mother - no friend of mine  :)) :))
I am the king of my castle - when Mrs Boxxy is not at home

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »

It was my bloody mother - no friend of mine  :)) :))

Your mother is better on a computer than you are - how does that work? :D :D

Offline Chucky13

• Low Ranger
  • QUEENSLANDER QUEENSLANDER QUEENSLANDER
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: 08 Navara STX
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »
Hey Woody as I said on the night it was the gentle hum of nature. I never even heard a generator all weekend.
WANNA PLAY?

Offline Ady88

• 4WD Class
  • 8 Ball
  • Vehicle Make: Other
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »
Great trip report and great pics Kris it was an enjoyable weekend.

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Hey Woody as I said on the night it was the gentle hum of nature. I never even heard a generator all weekend.

Well that must have been two of the biggest f!#kn crickets I have ever heard then !!!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
  • Vehicle Make: Other
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
looks like it was a nice weekend even with the rubbish weather, reckon i might head out there later this year if i get a chance after seeing those pics.
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.
I preferred his signature i'd written there myself before he changed it...lol
Nice try Grasshopper!!!!!

Offline Kris

• Motley Member
  • Hard Core
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »
looks like it was a nice weekend even with the rubbish weather, reckon i might head out there later this year if i get a chance after seeing those pics.

Mal - we only explored a tiny part of the area. There is so much to see in the region - you could easily spend a week there!

The rest of the pics are here for those interested - would love to see some of the other photos taken on the weekend.

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/Kris_Humphrys/library/Motley%20Crew%20Trip%20-%20Toonumbar%20Dam%202013?sort=3&page=1

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
Great trip report Kris.

Alex looks happy to get the Jeep muddy! 
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Offline jnr chook

• Jnr Vice President
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Model: hilux dual cab
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
and another great trip wow ...
see you out on the dirt soon

Offline deFuzster

• Web Admin