Author Topic: ANZAC WEEKEND 2013 JONDARYAN WOOLSHED  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
  • Vehicle Make: Other
ANZAC WEEKEND 2013 JONDARYAN WOOLSHED
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:33:35 PM »
Here's a trip report i did on another forum from our weekend away over the ANZAC day period. our family, Clouty and his family, and Jeff W and his family aswell as Sarah's parents went away for a few days camping.............................................................

being that ANZAC day fell on the Thursday we made a 4 day weekend of it and headed away camping with some friends. we left home about 7.00 a.m and headed for Oakey where we would watch the street march at 9.40 a.m followed by attending the 10.00 a.m service afterwards. i didn't take any pics whilst in Oakey, for me ANZAC day isn't about taking pics, it's about remembering those who have fought and died for this country. nothing against those who chose to do otherwise, i just don't do it myself.
the service finished around 11.00 a.m and we headed about 10 minutes up the highway to the small town of Jondaryon, we turned left off the highway and continued on for another 5klms to the property where we'd be staying the next 4 days. i can't recall the exact cost as the wife paid for it before we got there, but i think it's $16 a night for an unpowered site, and then we needed to pay $38 (i think it was), which got us entry to the museum that is there (the whole property is the museum, with heaps of different buildings and machinery and much much more) and a guided tour aswell (went for about 2 hrs), you can also wander the property at your own leisure and look at what you like over the time you are staying there.
to get to the unpowered area you drive through the powered sites first, i don't see the attraction of these sites myself due to their location, mainly because the unpowered sites are down by the water which is so much nicer. amenties blocks (there's atleast 2 i saw, though i think there's 3) are all very nice, the newest toilet / shower block is only about 6 months old. we drove down to the creek at the back of the unpowered camp area and staked our location for the 4 days, not a bad spot i reckon

CAMPED ON THE BANK OF OAKEY CREEK

pretty much from here we did nothing all weekend but relax, some of our friends arrived a few hours after we did, a few more arrived the next day or afternoon when they finished work. the weather was fantastic all weekend, days were warm and  the first night cool, not to bad the second night, and cool again the 3rd night. you can have fires at your campsite but they have to be in a drum, which is supplied beside the camp kitchen building, you just need to take it down to your campsite yourself.
we did the guided tour on Saturday morning when everyone was finally there, learnt some great history of the property along the way and watched sheep being shorn aswell as dogs working the sheep aswell (Jondaryon was a sheep station before becoming a museum if you haven't worked that out yet....lol). the lamb rolls with gravy at the cafe are delicious, and the staff through out the property are all volunteers (i think from memory) and do a fantastic job.
Sunday morning we eventually packed up, around 11.00 a.m we left camp and drove up to the reception carpark area. the kids went on the horse and dray ride (think you call it that), we had another lamb and gravy roll and left afterwards to head the 2 1/2 hours back home to Brisbane.
pics will show the weekend from here

WISH I HAD A RIFLE, NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WILD

COLLECTING FIREWOOD

SOME OF THE NEIGHBOURS ACROSS THE CREEK

NIGHTS WERE CLEAR

SOME MORE NEIGHBOURS (though they didn't neigh whilst there...lol)

THEY TOOK TURNS IN DRINKING FROM THE CREEK INFRONT OF OUR CAMP

THEY HAD A WEDDING ON THE PROPERTY ON THE SATURDAY ARVO, THESE WERE GOING DOWN TO A SPOT BY THE CREEK FOR THAT OCCASION

INSIDE THE WOOLSHED BUILDING

SAW A FEW SHEARING DEMOS GETTING DONE OVER THE WEEKEND, EVEN THE OLD SKOOL WAY

WORKING DOGS DOING THEIR THING

HERB WAS CRACKING THE WHIPS NEAR THE CAFE AREA

EVEN LET MY MATES WIVES HAVE A GO AND SHOWED THEM HOW TO DO IT

PLENTY OF OLD STUFF ON THE PROPERTY TO LOOK AT AS YOU PLEASE (the place is huge, it'd take most of the day to properly look at everything)

MORE NEIGHBOURS ACROSS THE CREEK

HERB AND ANOTHER FELLA CAME DOWN TO CAMP AND LET THE KIDS PAT AND RIDE THEIR HORSES

THE HORSE AND DRAY RIDE COMING PAST CAMP AND PARKED UP LATER ON

Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.
I preferred his signature i'd written there myself before he changed it...lol
Nice try Grasshopper!!!!!

Offline deFuzster

• Web Admin
  • Hard Core
  • SOOTY !
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: 80 Series
Re: ANZAC WEEKEND 2013 JONDARYAN WOOLSHED
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »
Looks like an awesome spot!
[ ][ ]=TOYOTA=[ ][ ]
Only a 4WDer knows a good snatch

Offline jnr chook

• Jnr Vice President
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Toyota
  • Vehicle Model: hilux dual cab
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »
That looks like a great place mal
see you out on the dirt soon

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
certainly is a nice spot, would make a good club weekend away sometime in the future i reckon.
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.

Offline Hangman

• Treasurer/Membership Officer
  • Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »
Good report Mal.

I have never been there but I understood my family had donated a sulky to the woolshed many years ago which has been restored and would have had Henry Lynch & sons on the side.
"Wax on Wax off"........... The Karate Kid(1984)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
Good report Mal.

I have never been there but I understood my family had donated a sulky to the woolshed many years ago which has been restored and would have had Henry Lynch & sons on the side.
i don't recall seeing the name on a sulky Ian, but do recall seeing several Sulky's and other carraiges in the grain storage shed (the big tin shed in the last pic), so i may have seen it but don't recall exactly which one it was.

Offline boxxy

• President
  • Administrator
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Mazda
  • Vehicle Model: BT50
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
certainly is a nice spot, would make a good club weekend away sometime in the future i reckon.

Wanna put your hand up to lead a trip Mal? This spot was in our planning, just need to pencil in a weekend mate
I am the king of my castle - when Mrs Boxxy is not at home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

Wanna put your hand up to lead a trip Mal? This spot was in our planning, just need to pencil in a weekend mate
i have somewhere else in mind for a mystery camping trip Rick, just need to work out when later in the year will suite my schedule.

Cloutys

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 07:00:54 AM »
When was the fox there Mal?? Before we got there??

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »
When was the fox there Mal?? Before we got there??
it's not a fox it was a cat mate, and yes before you got there. it was before Jeff got there also from memory, so not long after we arrived. it walked right along the creek embankment, then wandered off into the paddock into the distance.

Cloutys

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
So it is.. Had a bit of a better look this time..