Author Topic: Australia Day Weekend 2020  (Read 771 times)

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
Australia Day Weekend 2020
« on: February 04, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
Australia Day Camping Weekend 25/26/27 January 2020

Trip Leader: Committee

Attendees: Ian, Tom, Dan&Kaylene, Greg&Terrina, Quinton&Sam, John&Kim, Brad&Jess, Andrew, Glenn, Merv&Anita, Gary&May, Daryl&Robyn, David&Jill, Scott,Julie&Hayley, Keith&Keryle, Blake&Kristina,  Chris&Toni, Greg&Deb, Lance&Linda, Shane&Bianca

Most of the attendees arrived Friday afternoon although Greg & Terrina had been there all week. I arrived at 8.30pm Friday night set up my swag and grabbed a beer. Most sat around until late talking. A few of us were last to bed at midnight.

Saturday

It was a very humid morning to start the weekend. After breakfast we organized a drive which left at 10am. I was hoping to find old fire towers in the Imbil State Forest. So, we headed north to Brooloo where we aired down and headed into the forestry on Western Creek Rd. There had been some good rain during the week and the tracks where dry with no dust. There was the occasional patch of mud, as Dan found side ways. Unfortunately, no fire towers where found so we headed back to Imbil and back to camp.

After lunch we headed to the Kenilworth Pool for a swim. Today, the committee was paying for members and most members took advantage of the pool. The pool is in the show grounds and we were camped behind the pool, so it was only a short walk to the pool. The swim was very refreshing. As usual, sundown Motley style several members put on a spread of nibbles which everyone enjoys pre-dinner. Once dinner was done, we sat until the late hours of Saturday night with stories of big and great travels.

Sunday

Overnight it had rained and today there were coastal showers passing through. After breakfast we organized another drive to Kenilworth. I was hoping to drive Black Hut Rd but upon arriving at the start of the track it was clearly blocked. We had driven this track Nov 2018 on the Conondale Trip. After a chat to some local lads we took a track further up but unfortunately it came to a steep rutted red clay section which would have been very challenging for our large group. We were able to turn around and head back to camp just before lunch.

There had been some showers during the morning, and it was overcast which made it cool. After lunch we had a game of cricket which soon claimed 2 members. Kaylene injured her shoulder while Brad injured his ankle both chasing a ball. The cricket was called off due to injury and ambulance called. Both Brad and Kaylene were taken to hospital for further assessment and treatment. They would get back later tonight bandaged and drugged.

After the ambulance left, we started getting ready for dinner, tonight was our pub dinner night. It was only a short walk up town to the pub. At the pub we drew the bushfire raffle which raised $263 alone. Well done Motleys. Kaylene was lucky to have won one of the prizes in her absence. After dinner we walked back to camp, startling a bin diving cat on the way. A few campers stayed up until the others arrived back from hospital.

Monday

Another steamy start to the day but thankfully it was dry and most of the gear outside was dried off for pack up. Slowly we all packed some leaving early to avoid the Bruce Highway traffic. I left about 9am and had a good run home, others leaving later had a slower run. Tom towed Brad's camper home, so Jess only had to drive the cruiser.

It was another great week end away with so many attending. What a great effort to have raised the money for the Kangaroo Island Bushfire Appeal. A big shout out to Anita Hughes for donating her art works and sales of jewelry from the weekend.

Ian Lynch
"Say 'hello' to my little friend!" Scarface  1983

Offline Pig dog

• President
  • Committee
  • 4WD Class
  • Have 4x4 and do like to explore
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: 2004 patrol
Re: Australia Day Weekend 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »

It was a fun weekend with lot of laughs and good stories.