Author Topic: Australia Day 2019 Camping Weekend  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
Australia Day 2019 Camping Weekend
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »
Australia Day Week-end  26/27/28 January 2019
Rathdowney Show Grounds

Trip Leader: Hangman (Ian)

Attendees: Boxxy & Mrs Boxxy, Q & Sam, Mick & Neika, Pigdog, Brad & Jess, Merv, Anita & family, Doug & Jackie, Dom, Chantal & family, Cliz & Shauna, Gary & May, Matt, Leigh & family, Scotty, Julie & Hayley, Glenn, Liam, Elaine & family,

By Friday afternoon several members had already camped up at Rathdowney. This year we were staying in the show grounds. So by the time I arrived Saturday most families were already set up under the trees in the shade with a cool drink. I had left home at 9am and had a good run thru Beaudesert to Rathdowney. I had grabbed a pie from the shop and headed over to the show grounds to have lunch. Thankfully there was a good breeze thru the trees to make it pleasant. The show grounds had given us a box of scones which were much appreciated. Thanks to Tony, the Rathdowney show grounds secretary.

We celebrated Australia Day with a beer, cake(thanks Julie) and a game of cricket. Scotty and Q making a century partnership. After a day in the field we headed up to the pub for dinner. Once again we were not disappointed it was a good feed with large portions. After dinner we sat around had a few more drinks before bed. I needed to call it by 10pm others went back up to the pub for a night cap. Another Australia Day celebrated in true Motley style.

Sunday we woke early with the birds and early sun rise. After breakfast we assembled the vehicles on the show grounds for a group picture. There were 12 vehicles going on the drive today. We had been joined by Jason, Lisa and family for the drive. We headed south to Cannon Creek Rd and drove back thru the hills of Scenic Rim to finish the drive along Geiger's Rd which is a short 4WD track. It is just enough to engage the stubby stick and flex the axles. Once back on the Rathdowney-Boonah Rd we head back to Rathlogan Olive Grove Shed for an ice cream and back to camp for lunch. It was about now that the powered sites all lost power. Simon's turbo oven shorted out due to heat of the sun melting the top cover of the oven, oops.

After lunch we waited until 2pm for the pool to open. Most of us headed down to the pool for a relax in the waters and a social game of pool volley ball. Social means 3 balls in play at one time and there were no rules. We would have been there for 2 hours. It was a great way to finish the afternoon. Bronnie thimking she was flicking a fly off Boxxy was stunk by a wasp, ouch. Thanks to Mick for opening the pool. After our swim, back to camp for another afternoon of cricket and a water bomb fight, thanks to the kids.

Scotty and Julie were crowned champion thong throwers 2019, Scotty just winning the overall championship. After this we settled in for the afternoon, some nibbles and  beers to see the sun set on another great day. Gary fed Tom and I some beaut lamb roast. Cheers mate. We divided into teams of 6 for Australiana Trivia thanks to Mick and Neika. Congrats to Team Piston Broke, you know who you are.

From this point on the night gets a little hazy. But there was a game of Cards against Humanity to finish the night some time around 12 midnight. I think Tom and Anita won the night. I put my head down and was finished for the day.

Monday seemed to come around too quickly. After a slow start this morning we packed up camp and slowly each of us headed home. It was another great Australia Day week end celebrated in typical Motley fashion. Big shout out to those who decorated themselves and their camp sites for the day. I hope every one enjoyed the week end.

Please post pictures in the thread because I did not take a single picture.

Ian Lynch
"Say 'hello' to my little friend!" Scarface  1983

Offline gazmay

• Motley Member
  • Tyre Kicker
  • Be nice. I'm new to The Motley Crew
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Colorado
Re: Australia Day 2019 Camping Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:27:11 PM »
Was a great weekend, lots of laughs over the weekend, the drive was a good experience for me. May and I had a great time thank you to the motley crew.
PS your welcome for the little bit of roast, can't promise all the time though lol.
Cheers
GazMay