Author Topic: Simpson Desert 2018 including Uluru  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
  • Vehicle Make: Holden
  • Vehicle Model: Jackaroo 3.1
Simpson Desert 2018 including Uluru
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
See Attached Part 1
"Say 'hello' to my little friend!" Scarface  1983

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
Re: Simpson Desert 2018 including Uluru
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
See attached Part 2

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
See Part 3 attached

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
See Part 4 attached
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:48:46 PM by Hangman »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
  • Vehicle Make: Other
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
Enjoying the read mate....you need to add a few more klms to your days though, last week we left Thargomindah at 7.40 a.m and rolled into home at 7.00 p.m  after a stop off to pick up some Chinese food from the local takeaway...lol. We had fun dodging roos coming into Eulo, was nice to see the Moonie Hwy isn't the rollercoaster ride it used to be,  sat on 110kph the whole way along it 8) maybe nudged quute abit more overtaking roadtrains....lol.
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.
I preferred his signature i'd written there myself before he changed it...lol
Nice try Grasshopper!!!!!

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »
Enjoying the read mate....you need to add a few more klms to your days though, last week we left Thargomindah at 7.40 a.m and rolled into home at 7.00 p.m  after a stop off to pick up some Chinese food from the local takeaway...lol. We had fun dodging roos coming into Eulo, was nice to see the Moonie Hwy isn't the rollercoaster ride it used to be,  sat on 110kph the whole way along it 8) maybe nudged quute abit more overtaking roadtrains....lol.

Thanks Mal, did you make Uluru and climb?

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
See Part 5 attached

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »

yeah mate...left Brissy Saturday morning, arrived at The Rock just after lunch time on Wednesday. Free camped 5klms outside of the resort a couple of sand dunes back off the highway for a couple of nights (had a beaut view of the rock from camp), climbed the rock with both the girls on Thursday arvo (Leanne is scared of heights so didn't climb). Left there Friday and camped the next night at Lamberts Centre of Australia, then home via Coober Pedy, The Oodnadatta Track to Farina (had pies there for brekky), along The Strzelecki to Merty Merty and camped at Cameron Corner, and home via Noccundra and Thargomindah. Good trip, but as I knew it would be, way to much distance covered in 2 weeks....but it was all about the girls getting to climbing the rock, so trip was a huge success.
Is it just me, or did part 4 of your report not attach?
Just a heads up...Jeff has changed his signature due to being foolish enough to leave his account logged on when he borrowed my phone.

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

yeah mate...left Brissy Saturday morning, arrived at The Rock just after lunch time on Wednesday. Free camped 5klms outside of the resort a couple of sand dunes back off the highway for a couple of nights (had a beaut view of the rock from camp), climbed the rock with both the girls on Thursday arvo (Leanne is scared of heights so didn't climb). Left there Friday and camped the next night at Lamberts Centre of Australia, then home via Coober Pedy, The Oodnadatta Track to Farina (had pies there for brekky), along The Strzelecki to Merty Merty and camped at Cameron Corner, and home via Noccundra and Thargomindah. Good trip, but as I knew it would be, way to much distance covered in 2 weeks....but it was all about the girls getting to climbing the rock, so trip was a huge success.
Is it just me, or did part 4 of your report not attach?

Good to hear your trip was "a huge success". I know the girls will remember the climb for some time. Part 4 attached thanks for heads up

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »
Good to see you got to climb the rock yourself mate, we were told to keep an eye on Willy Weather to check the predicted wind speeds so you know when they are dropping.... they check the wind speeds there every 3 hours I believe, so it often opens just after lunch if it's closed in the morning. It did surprise me how late they let people go up the rock, they are worried about the wind but not people comijng down in the dark....work that out.

Offline Pig dog

• President
  • Committee
  • 4WD Class
  • Have 4x4 and do like to explore
  • Vehicle Make: Nissan
  • Vehicle Model: 2004 patrol
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »

What a great read wish I could have made the trip. Daniel should be proud of you guys finding all those pie shops. can't wait for the next instalment.   

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 06:21:52 PM »
See Part 6 attached

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 06:22:33 PM »
See Part 7 attached

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Core
  • Charlie Bear
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »
Your morning temperatures seem much warmer then we had...it was about -1.5 to -2 @ Alice Springs and The Rock whilst we were there (reckon Tambo was nearly zero also, though Winton and Tobermory were warmer). I had a small amount of ice on the windscreen at Alice, thought I'd hit it with the windscreen washers and wipers to remove it...instantly the water froze on the windscreen and then atleast a third of the  windscreen was covered in ice. Ended up scraping the ice off with my finger nails, couldn't leave the V8 rumbling away in the van park waiting for the engine temperature to warm up enough for the heater to thaw out the windscreen...lol.

Offline Hangman

• Committee
  • Hard Core
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »
Your morning temperatures seem much warmer then we had...it was about -1.5 to -2 @ Alice Springs and The Rock whilst we were there (reckon Tambo was nearly zero also, though Winton and Tobermory were warmer). I had a small amount of ice on the windscreen at Alice, thought I'd hit it with the windscreen washers and wipers to remove it...instantly the water froze on the windscreen and then atleast a third of the  windscreen was covered in ice. Ended up scraping the ice off with my finger nails, couldn't leave the V8 rumbling away in the van park waiting for the engine temperature to warm up enough for the heater to thaw out the windscreen...lol.

The temp readings are from the fridge thermometer inside the car so maybe a little higher than outside. We had a light frosting a couple of mornings and only ice in the water bottles once in the desert(will be mentioned in the coming parts of the report). We usually got out of bed once the sun was up anyway that is why we only did low km days especially in the desert. Never had ice on windscreen.